Learning to craft the ideal post workout meal is an art and a science. We want a blend of complete protein and starchy carbohydrates, but even more than that, we want something flavourful and filling that refuels our muscles and satisfies our taste buds.
Enter: the best post workout pesto salad.
Born out of a post workout, hungry, ‘clean out the fridge’ session, this pesto pasta and chicken salad ticks all the boxes for a post workout meal you’ll keep coming back to over and over again. It also keeps well as a pre-packed lunch which is a major win in my mind.
- 6 cups arugula
- 2 cups cooked pasta I used gluten free rotini, but any bite sized pasta will work well here.
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast about 3 chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 2 tbsp salad dressing of choice balsamic vinaigrette works great here, or you can do a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic reduction.
- Begin by preheating the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and bake the chicken breasts for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken breasts are cooking, cook the dry pasta. When done, drain pasta in a colander and stir in pesto. Let cool.
- Set out two large bowls, dinner sized plates or tupperware containers. It's time to get your chop on! Chop the arugula and divide evenly between the two containers. Grate the carrot, dice the sundried tomatoes, olives, cucumber and red onion and divide evenly between the two salads. Stir 1 cup of the pesto pasta into each salad.
- When the chicken has finished cooking, let cool for 2-3 minutes. Chop the chicken breasts into cubes and divide evenly between the two salads.
- Finish off your salad with a drizzle of your favourite salad dressing. Try a store-bought balsamic dressing for convenience, or make your own. One of our favourites is a drizzle of good quality italian olive oil, balsamic reduction and fresh lemon plus a healthy topping of fresh cracked black pepper.